By 1940, the total membership was almost 2000, with over 1000 in the Sunday School. In 1957, a large Christian Education wing was constructed.
Top of Page
Between 1930 and 1994, the Eglinton congregation was served by ordained ministers Rev. Dr. William Johnston (25 years.), Rev. Dr. Edward Cragg (15 years), Rev. Dr. Bob Bater (4 years), Rev. Dr. Bob Smith (11 years) and Rev. Dr. David McKane (11.5 years). Eglinton also had the help of deaconesses and diaconal ministers including Rev. Dr. Robin Smith, Rev. Richard Cammidge, Rev. Don Lowry, Rev. Wayne Hilliker, Audrey McKim, Sylvia Hamilton, Maureen Heath and Sylvia Bell. Rev. Joe Brown held a special place in the story of Eglinton both for his pastoral work and his role in the development of low income housing in North Toronto. By 1980 the concept of "team ministry" was developed, with two "ordered" ministers sharing the ministry.
Eglinton also went through changes in organization: a unified budget guaranteed the donations to the Mission and Service Fund and women were appointed to the Official Board. A new congregational structure replaced the Session with functional committees, and the chairs of which formed an executive.
The choirs at Eglinton had great esprit de corps and its members were active in all aspects of congregational life. Lay people were also much involved in worship services and many refugee families were sponsored by Eglinton. Many candidates for ministry started their journey as members of this congregation. A woman’s group with participation from many churches and denominations arose out of an interest in feminist theology.
Throughout its history, Eglinton valued its Methodist heritage and expressed this through groups such as Peace with Justice, support of Amnesty International, and concern for the poor and marginalized, locally and abroad.
Top of Page