The church building at 35 Lytton Boulevard was erected in 1924. The church school wing was completed and dedicated in the fall of 1932. From the beginning, St. George’s benefited from the talents of many capable people in leadership roles. Senior ministers, including Rev. Dr. William Back, Rev. Dr. Willard Brewing, Rev. Dr. John Short, Rev. Dr. Angus MacQueen, Rev. Dr. Robert Mumford and Rev. Ian MacLean all inspired and challenged the congregation.
Top of Page
A succession of leaders helped develop and sustain Christian education for children and youth: in recent years these included Deanna Wilson, Florence Newman, Rivkah Vaage, Sylvia Hamilton, Clark Saunders and Bill Bartram. Youth ministry, youth and junior choirs, youth orchestra, confirmation classes, and "Family Services in the Chapel", were some of the signs of the involvement with youth and children and their families.
Starting in the 1960’s, music took a high profile at St. George’s. The choirs were involved in church services, concerts, and many endeavors outside the church. The Youth Choirs in the ‘60s won many awards and even performed in Westminster Abbey.
St. George’s had a long history of social service and support for the underprivileged, both at home and internationally. Givings to the Mission and Service Fund were consistently among the highest across Canada. The congregation supported missionaries at several times in its life. The War Memorial Bursary continues to support foreign theology students studying in Canada before returning to their native countries.
Top of Page